Help Protect Your Community
The Washington Township Fire Department is a combination department composed by volunteer and career firefighters. The volunteer members come from Grenloch, Whitman Square, and Hurffville Fire Companies. Volunteer firefighters are an integral part of our professional fire department. To become a firefighter, you must be at least 18 years old and in good health. The Washington Township Fire Department has a Fire Explorer Program for persons between the ages of 14 (completed 8th grade) - 18 years old. Parental consent is required to join the Fire Explorer Program. If you or anyone you know might be interested in being a firefighter, please invite them to talk with our firefighters to hear the opportunities that await them.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to volunteer?
There is no charge to join the Fire Department. We provide you with everything it takes to be a fireman which includes protective clothing and training. We also provide a physical at the time you join and once a year thereafter
- How much time does it take to volunteer with the Fire Department?
To be a firefighter in the State of New Jersey, you must complete a 130 hour Firefighter 1 course within a year of joining. There is a weekly Company Drill and a once a month Company Business Meeting. The Fire District does require members to attend Drills and Meeting throughout the year and maintain a stat level set forth by the Fire District.
3.. How do I get more information?
Anyone wishing to find our more about firefighting or want to become a volunteer firefighter is urged to contact the Washington Township Fire District Headquarters at (856) 863-4000 or go to
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Fire Explorer Program 14-18 years of age
- Ability to work well with others
- Clean driving record
- Must be a resident of Washington Township
Benefits of Membership
- Sense of accomplishment by giving a service back to your Community
- Complete training for all fire fighting duties
- Retirement/Life Insurance Program
- Comprehensive Annual Physical Exams
- Training and Educational Programs paid completely by the Fire District
- Tuition Credit Program for Local County Colleges
- Dress and Work Uniforms Workers Compensation Insurance
- Additional Accident and Health Benefits
- Additional Death Benefit through the New Jersey State Fireman's Association